Thứ Năm, 13 tháng 3, 2014

Practically Engaged Bioethics Scholars

I strolled through the Rodin Museum & Gardens this afternoon.  The Gates of Hell struck me differently this time.  







Most of the sculpture represents all sorts of chaos and agony.  In contrast, the Thinker (near the top center) is apart and quietly contemplating something.  





What does this have to do with practically engaged bioethics scholarship?  I like being an academic.  But this sculpture illustrates something that I worry about:  being too detached from the practical reality of the subjects I study.





That is why I am delighted to engage with physicians, nurses, clinical ethicists, and others.  I want to be sure that the problems I address (and the manner in which I address them) help clarify and remove the obstacles to good medicine that clinicians and patients are really facing.










0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét